Friday, October 29, 2010

my Pink Saturday...

I am sharing with you this week...
a pink poppy card from my aunt...
a pink floral doily...
and one of my King's Crown desserts...
also known as Thumbprint...
the original King's Crown molds were owned by Tiffin Glass Co.,...
Tiffin, Ohio...
they produced many colors...
including Ruby...
which is what I collect...
it is a darker red flashing...
the color is flashed on and is easily scratched...
when the molds were sold to Indiana Glass Co.,...
they continued in manufacturing the pieces in many different colors...
but their version of ruby came out lighter...
thus the cranberry color...
gold dust is required to get the red color in glass...
the more the dust, the darker the red...
Indiana glass did not use as much...
finding it cheaper, I suppose...
a dear old dealer friend told me that that is why the red glass is more expensive in any style of depression glass...
and more sought out...
she taught me so much about glassware...
it was her specialty...
and her name was Ruby...
with a mane of red hair...
cherish those older dealers...
they have more information than you could ever find in a book...
they lived through it...
they know...
they remember...
she would have loved PINK SATURDAY !
Happy Pink Saturday!
 for more PINK...
 follow the link....

13 comments:

Amy Kinser said...

Beautiful! Sweet post.

Debbie said...

What a beautiful dessert dish Tete! You have staged the pics wonderfully!!! You are a wealth of information yourself dearie.
Hugs.
Debbie@houseatthelake

LV said...

A very pretty post for Pink Saturday.

Donna said...

I love your Depression glass, Tete! Thanks for the great lesson, too:) I've heard of the Tiffin glass company. Sounds like your old neck of the woods?

NanaDiana said...

Tete! I have 8 of the "sherberts" at least that is what I called them and 8 of the taller glasses. They are the deep red thumbprint and my neighbor who was a dealer told me they were ruby glass. They are quite a bit darker than the ones in your picture. They belonged to my husband's grandmother and I treasure them. Hugs- Diana

Prior said...

So true, about the older dealers...well, just older people, in general. I love to hear thier stories...your depression glass is great! Lezlee

nancy said...

Tete,
What a beautiful dish. Thanks for sharing your pink. Happy Halloween to you.
Nancy

Kathy said...

Goodmorning Tete,
What a beautiful glass! Love the history and your story about the antique dealer! You are right - we should treasure those who hold knowledge of beautiful things and the past! Love your Pink Saturday vignette!
Happy Pink Saturday,
Kathy

NanE said...

Hi Tete, Happy Pink Saturday! I absolutely adore the bowl you shared today and I learned something too! My post today is about Depression Glass also. A lot of the depression glass was manufactured in Ohio where I grew up. Love the little doily too. Have a wonderful weekend, Nan

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Thanks for the lesson! I love learning about how things were made and where. I have several red pieces from my Grandmother and I like to get them out for Christmas!
ps the grocery store is at the corner of 14th and madison and the building is still there!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

ok Tete, ur father in law lived one block from my dad...hence 1515?? They would of gone to Washington school together? my grandfather lived with his brother at 1308 adams after WWI and would walk by to see my grandmother at 1220 Jefferson only to find my ggrandfather on the front porch, so he would not stop!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

oops he lived at 1307 Adams

Debbie said...

Good morning Tete~I just wanted to pop over and say "hello" on this lovely Saturday morning.
Have a blessed day!
Debbie@houseatthelake