Monday, January 29, 2024

flour sacks...

 

my grandma used to make my mom's dresses out of flour sacks during the depression...

grandma's sister made them for her, too...

my great grandma made a postage stamp quilt out of the leftovers...

I do not have any of the cute little dresses my mama wore...

but I did get the quilt top great grandma hand sewed together...

and I had that hand quilted by a friend of mine...

she even let me help on some of it...

the wisdom those old women had was passed down to us...

but this new generation didn't have those old ladies who could make something out of nothing...

they are sure missing out on so much...

blessed to be a kid back then...

have good days...


1 comment:

Kathe said...

My mom made us girls clothes with them and my Aunt Betty made us doll clothes with the scraps. Waste not, want not. Mom also made dresser clothes with them. She would embroider on the ends. Dish towels. So many good things. But mostly, she made homemade bread from the flour! And caramel rolls. And she made me learn to use what we had and do without what we didn't.
We need companies like this again. I believe folks are beginning to look at things differently again. Thanks for the memory, Tete! Made my day!