Friday, March 1, 2013

have you ever?

taken a drive through a cemetery?

its one of my favorite things to do...

this is the oldest part of our town cemetery...

and with the zoom of the camera...

I can see places we cannot get to in the car...

there is a path back to these stones...

but no paved road...

but they are there...

very old stones from when the town was first started...

there is an older cemetery just out of town...

its first...
but when the spring floods come, you cannot get to it...

so the land for this one was donated...

and there are so many I want to photograph...

and then do their family tree, if I don't already have it done...

so many souls have come this way...

full of hopes and dreams of a better life...

full of faith...

in God and all He has to offer those on this side...

and one by one...

they were all called home...

and I am amazed at the craftmanship...

of each resting place...
of their adornments...
of the time and labor that was spent, not on in each lifetime...
but in the markers of those gone home...

have you ever just drove around one?
just because?

3 comments:

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Well, you know my answer is a big YES! My cousins kid me, even when we are out of state and drive by a cemetery they say "any relatives in that cemetery". a genealogist can not help it!

Jettie said...

LOL, yes, I've driven through, walked through, taken pictures. And back in 1996, my daughter and I did a census of an old cemetery about 6 miles away, to find 1 particular grave.

Unknown said...

In a little town of Namur in Door County they had to move a cemetary for the road expansion so they moved all the people and lined up row after row of headstones behind the church so I would drive into the parking lot sometimes just to wave HI to my Dad's cousin. Such interesting places.