Tuesday, November 17, 2015

something you might want to use in a decorating project...



Twas The Night Before Jesus Came


Twas the night before Jesus came 
and all through the house
Not a person was praying, 
not one in the house.

Their Bibles were left on the 
shelf without care
For no one thought that 
Jesus would come there.

The children were dressing 
to crawl into bed,
Not once ever kneeling or 
bowing a head.

And Mom in her rocker 
with baby on her lap
Was watching the Late Show 
while I took a nap.

When out of the East 
there arose such a clatter,
I sprang to my feet 
to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash
Tore open the shutters 
and threw up the sash!

When what to my wondering 
eyes should appear
But angels proclaiming 
that Jesus was here.
With a light like the sun 
sending forth a bright ray
I knew in a moment this 
must be THE DAY!

The light of His face 
made me cover my head
It was Jesus returning just like He said
And though I possessed 
worldly wisdom and wealth,
I cried when I saw Him in spite of myself.

In the Book of Life 
which He held in his hand,
Was written the name 
of every saved man.
He spoke not a word 
as he searched for my name;
When He said, “It’s not here” 
my head hung in shame.

The people whose names 
had been written with love,
He gathered to take to His Father above.
With those who were ready 
He rose without a sound
While all the rest of us 
were left standing around.

I fell to my knees, but it was too late;
I had waited too long 
and thus sealed my fate.
I stood and I cried 
as they rose out of sight;
Oh, if only I had been ready tonight.

In the words of this poem 
the meaning is clear;
The coming of Jesus is drawing near.
There’s only one life 
and when comes the last call,
We’ll find that the Bible was true after all!


Copyright 1984, Bethany Farms

No comments: